Friday, July 30, 2010

The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths

3.5 stars
R- 2

I was hoping to absolutely love and adore this one.  And it was pretty good.  But it's written completely in the present tense.

Which is sometimes okay.  Usually it bugs me until I get caught up in the story-- if I get caught up enough I stop noticing it.  With this book, it kept jarring me back out of the story.

I also really don't love the casual affairs with married men.  It bugs me.  Call me a prude, but I don't think it's ever right and I get tired of books where the main romantic storylines are affairs.  Blah.

The mystery itself is pretty good.  I did enjoy it.  And it is the first of a series, but the writing was so jarring I'm not sure I can read more without getting severely annoyed.

But the ending was just tantalizing enough.... I might be curious enough to read the next one... maybe.  It doesn't come out until January, so I suppose I've got time to decide.  ;)

Counts for the Reader's Choice and Support Your Local Library Challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment