Saturday, November 22, 2008

It's the weekend....

and I'm crazy busy! So, I think I'll take a break from Reader's Choice (I tell you, ADD) to tell you about one of my new absolute favoritest series! (Yes, I know, that's atrocious grammar.)

And Only To Deceive
A Poisoned Season
A Fatal Waltz-- all by Tasha Alexander
5 Stars
R- 1

Mystery and intrigue in Victorian England! Lady Emily Ashton has been widowed and when she decides to learn more about the husband she didn't really know well, she discovers much more than she'd planned! Theft, intrigue and murder... oh my!
(This is the first book where all this happens.) Here's an excerpt:

"My mother and I do not particularly enjoy each others company. From the day the queen kissed me during my presentation at court in Buckingham Palace, I heard from Mother constant reminders that my looks would soon fade, and she admonished me to do my best to catch a husband immediately. That I had refused several good offers continued to vex her, and I will not bore the reader with the details of these trivial events. Suffice it to say that I had little interest in marriage. I cannot claim that this was due to lofty ideals of love or outrage at the submission demanded by many husbands of their wives. Frankly, I considered the proposition of matrimony immensely boring. Married women I knew did scarcely more than bear children and order around their servants. Their time consumed by mundane details, the most excitement for which they could hope was some social event at which they could meet one another and complain about said children and servants. I preferred my life at home. At least as a single woman, I had time to pursue my own interests, read voraciously, and travel when opportunity presented."

I'm not going to say another word about them... You just have to go read them!
(But if you want to be sneaky, you can learn more at http://www.tashaalexander.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment