Saturday, December 20, 2008

The 1950s

So, in The War Against Miss Winter, we visited the 40s.... now let's visit the 50s...

Whistling in the Dark by Lesley Kagen
3.5 Stars
R- 3
*Story involves a search for a child predator

The tone and voice of this are delightful. Lesley Kagen captures the voice of a 50s child beautifully. (Okay, I know, the 50s were before my time, but still.)
However, parts of this book are a little disturbing. In the reader's discussion stuff at the book, she talks about how she wrote the book after talking to others who had grown up in the 50s (as she did) and hearing repeatedly things along the lines of "well, my uncle would..." or "my brother would..." I'll spare you the details, but seriously, how high a percentage of children in the 50s were molested?
Anyway, it's good, but consider yourself warned. As a parent, it's crazy to think that things were like that way back when while at the same time lamenting how much things have changed since we were kids. And I was a kid a fair bit later than the 50s.

No comments:

Post a Comment