Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Knitting Sequel


Knit Two by Kate Jacobs

3.75 stars

R- 3

Sequel to The Friday Night Knitting Club


Let me start by saying I really enjoyed the first book. And I liked this one.

But.... well, now I can see why every author that I've ever wished would write a sequel because as a reader I really want to know what happens to my favorite characters.... doesn't.

Because as much as I liked the characters and as fun as it is to learn what happened to them, if that's the only reason behind the sequel (reader curiosity) then it may feel a bit... forced. And this one did. The laundry lists of some of what everyone had been doing over the last five years... combined with the hinting about others things was just kind of stilted.

Don't get me wrong, I still liked it. The characters are still engaging, even if they are sometimes aggravating. And even if they sometimes completely contradict themselves on the same page. (Which they do. Darwin was starting to drive me nuts.)

In some ways, this makes them more real, but who was it that said something about things happening in real life or bad fiction? Sometimes it's possible to have characters that are just too real.

I'm not calling this bad fiction, really I'm not. It was a good read. I understand Darwin's dilemas even when they drove me crazy, and I'm glad that in her 40s Catherine finally figures life out... sort of. More or less anyway. And it's good to know that Anita isn't 100% perfect all the time. Her son is a scumbag, but what can you do. (And *SPOILER ALERT* that really should have been resolved. Honestly.) (Okay, that wasn't much of a spoiler... I really try to avoid spoilers.)


In the end, I guess the message is that life goes on. Whether we make good choices or bad, whether we like it or not.

And that's good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment