Friday, February 20, 2009

More Newberry Goodness

The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope
5 stars

This is a Newberry Honor Book from the 70's. I LOVED it! It was excellent. A fabulous blend of history and fantasy, The Perilous Gard is the tale of Kate Sutton, exiled from exile.

Which is not the double negative = a positive that you would think. It's house arrest at the home of a man she's never met.

And eventually, mysterious events lead her to the world of the Fairy Folk.

I quite liked Kate as a character. Her sister is an idiot, but what can you do? The last chapter, especially, is hilarious. (Not a good thing to be reading at midnight when everyone is asleep... you end up having to smother yourself.)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great read Britt. I love books that make me laugh. I will have to remember not to read it while everyone is sleeping.

    ReplyDelete