Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I Have A Confession To Make...

Okay, so technically, the name of the blog is CONFESSIONS of a Book Habitue, but this is like a guilty secret confession.

I read Dragon Slippers.

I know, it didn't win. BUT, I realized it was already on my "to read" list. Because it won a Whitney last year. And now it's a nominee for a Beehive award.

So it was sitting there begging me to check it out and read it.

And I caved.

I will still read Lost Boys. I will. It was the winning book for March. As soon as I get it from the library, I will read it.

In the meantime...

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George
5 Stars
JF

I really really enjoyed this. What can I say, I'm a total sucker for dragon books. And I LOVE Patricia Wrede's dragon books, and you can't not feel a connection. (Well, I can't anyway.)

The fun tale of Creel, a girl who strikes out on her own, Dragon Slippers has adventure, fantasy, highs, lows... everything you could want in a fantasy novel. I can absolutely see why it won a Whitney. I can't remember what it's up against for the Beehive, but it won't surprise me if it wins.

I read this in an evening. Literally. About 320 pages in... a bit less than 4 hours. Because really technically I was doing more watching NCIS than reading for the first while. (There are so many NCIS options on Monday nights.)

Anyway.

Entirely entertaining.

But Lost Boys is still definitely the winner for March. I promise. (I just cannot believe there's only one copy in the whole freakin' county.)

5 comments:

  1. I have lost ALL faith in the democratic process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I know. I could singlehandedly destroy western civilization as we know it.

    I really honestly wouldn't have grabbed it if it weren't on my list though.

    STILL waiting on Lost Boys... It's due today, though, so hopefully whoever's got it will return it and then it'll be on it's way to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! I knew you'd like it. Since you liked Wrede's books so much. Even though it didn't win, I'm glad your read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dragon slippers and NCIS? You are my favorite. (Just discovered a new fetish for NCIS...so addicting!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. NCIS is ridiculously addicting. (Three hours a night on USA... 2-3 hours Monday nights on ION... New episodes Tuesdays...)
    :D

    I'm glad I read it, too, even if I have destroyed western civilization as we know it.

    ReplyDelete