Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

5 Stars
R-0
YF

Buy Gathering Blue on IndieboundThis is a companion novel to The Giver-- not a sequel. It does not pick up Jonas' story, he's not in it. Just so we're clear.

Gathering Blue gives us another view of what the (post-apocalyptic) future could be. (Hopefully not though, yikes.) It's a society existing separately from and yet at the same time as Jonas' society. (There's even a blue-eyed boy mentioned at the end. Is it Jonas? Could be.)

Kira's alone in the world. Her father died before she was born, her mother has just lost a battle with illness, and the neighbor women want her land to build (I kid you not) a pen for the "tykes and the fowls" so they won't have to chase them. (Now, I'll be the first to admit that there are perks to something like that. I block Mister into the living room with boxes. But a pen surrounded by thorn bushes? Seriously? So they can play in the ashes and debris that used to be Kira's cott? With the chickens? Yikes.)

Kira herself is saved by a Guardian who defends her and brings her to the Edifice to live and work with the threads, as her talent has out-classed even her mother's.

But things may not be what they seem. And just because the door is not locked does not mean she's free.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting fantasy/sci fi? Not my genre but sounds promising.

    By the way, I'm still featuring obscure books on my website :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantasy, yeah. For some reason my brain couldn't categorize it late last night when I wrote the post!

    I know, I drop by often. :D You've had some great-looking mysteries on there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I loved this book! Have you read Messenger? It is the sequel to Gathering Blue AND The Giver. It's like a gift from the book gods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm halfway through it right now. It certainly ties the two together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of Lowry's dystopian world too. Creepy but so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading all three books in this series (or companion novels). She's a fantastic author.

    ReplyDelete