Tuesday, September 1, 2009

August in Review

13 books in August. That's not too bad for a summer month, right?

4 mysteries, 3 yf type fantasy, 1 Virtual Book Tour, 1 book not finished, 1 urban fantasy, 3 historical/mystery/romance (all Deanna Raybourns... I read all three in like a day and a half), a couple of thrillers... a couple of Reader's Choice.

Not too shabby. Only 19 Reader's Choice to go... hmm. Maybe I should start really reading those.

No book club books finished this month... I'm still slowly plodding through the July/August book. It's good, it's just feeling hard to commit to.

No monthly possibilities either. They're still on hold. Through the end of eternity apparently.

Finished the Summer Reading stuff-- picked out our prize books on Saturday.
Boo got The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog, yea!
Mister got a Diego book with "e'pants" in it, so he's happy.

The adult choices were a bit slim. Several romances... no thanks. A couple of Patricia Cornwells... nah, I stopped reading hers a while ago. Too creepy and the characters are just not overly likeable people. Totally just my opinion, though.


I ended up with one called Dark Horse by Tami Hoag. Anybody heard of it? Hopefully it's good. We'll see. The problem with books I own is that they don't have a due date... so we'll see when I actually get around to reading it!

Dark Horse is a popular title. You put it in on Amazon and come up with all sorts of things.

That's not the cover I have, though. I have the hardback. That's the mass market paperback.

Which sparks an interesting question-- do you prefer paperback or hardback?

I'll buy either if the price is right, but when it comes right down to it-- I like paperbacks. They're easier to deal with. They aren't as heavy if I want to shove the book in my massive purse. They're easier to hold up if I'm reading in the tub.

How about you?

4 comments:

  1. Have you read the 'Last Apprentice' series by Joseph Delaney? They're totally like youth fiction, about a county Spook's apprentice, and with big type and even 300-400 pages, they're like a good afternoon read. My husband and I have really enjoyed 'em as a fun, quick to read books, full of ghouls, boggarts, witches, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't! I'll have to go add those to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a bad month at all!

    I keep looking at Tami Hoag's books, and thinking about buying them, but still haven't actually done it. I think. I do sometimes have trouble keeping track.

    Given a choice, I usually prefer paperback (for the reasons you state), although if it is a small book, the hardcover can have a nicer feel. I do like the looks of hardcovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm right there with you. I have a terrible time remembering what I've read. This is why I keep such ridiculous lists now!

    ReplyDelete