Monday, September 7, 2009

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson


3 stars
R- 3.5 (Note there are some rather disturbing situations)

I'm not really sure what to say about this book. I'm feeling ambivalent.

I've checked this book out without getting it read more times than I care to admit to, and I think part of it is that I was nervous about the hype. Was it really going to be as good as I wanted it to be? Always a tricky thing.

Did I like it? Well... yes... for the most part. I think.

Here's my problem-- there was too much going on. I mean, really, you've got like 3 almost completely unrelated plotlines. Now I can deal with multiple plotlines, but this just felt like it should have been a couple of books.

And I am not at all thrilled with the ending. Too many things just feel like they're left hanging. Not in a "oooh, let's read the next book in the series" way but in a "oops, did the author forget about that" way. At least that's how it feels. To me.

Plus, I have issues with casual sex relationships. They do not jive with my personal beliefs. Now don't get me wrong, I don't expect characters to live by my beliefs, but the ending left a bad taste in my mouth this way. Not only did it kill whatever attempt at a love story the book had, but... I don't know. It just didn't sit well with me. And since that's the last taste you have of a book... well, you can see my ambivalence.

Or I'm not making any sense at all, which is also completely possible. :D

All in all, it was an interesting story, and reading the next one might alter my opinion a bit.

But I'm hold number 149... so it'll be a while.

2 comments:

  1. How funny, Britt! I also started it but didn't finish it, though I've told myself I'm going to try again. I thought it was just me. So glad to know I'm not the only one who had trouble with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one too!!
    I'm going to see if reading the next book makes me feel any differently about the first.

    ReplyDelete