Monday, November 9, 2009

Dear America-- So Far From Home

3.5 Stars
JF

How many of these diary series are there now? I think they're everywhere...

This one is the story of Mary Driscoll, an Irish girl who comes to America and works in a mill. It actually wasn't really what I was in the mood for, but it was during my readathon and after the very British Sayers book I need something really short... and this one was shorter than my others from the diary series...es.... (seriously, how DOES one make that plural!?!?)

The only problem was it ended up being... too short. I felt a little cheated. And while I LOVE that there's the "here's what happened to everyone" epilogue at the end, I'm bugged that Mary herself only gets ONE LINE! Seriously, one line for the main character. Bizarre.

I do, however, think these are fabulous books for young readers to introduce or reinforce history. There are actually a bunch of boy ones now too, so they're not just for girls. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment