Friday, January 15, 2010

Buying Time by Pamela Samuels Young

3.5 stars
R-3-4
Source- Review copy for Virtual Book Tours

Good story... even if it is filled with mostly unlikeable characters.  And it is.  Really, even the two most likeable characters weren't ones I liked all that much.

This thriller is based on the viatical insurance business.... which involves investors buying people's insurance policies from them.  Now, Pamela Samuels Young is careful to say at the end that she took some liberties and that people in the business do a lot of good, but it seems like a business just begging to be abused... which is of course why it makes such a good story. :D

Why only 3.5 stars?  A little too much sex.  Not that it was rampant, but I don't need quite that much detail, myself.  And the dialect stuff was distracting.  Usually I like dialect, but I wasn't even sure how to pronounce some of the intentional mispellings and it pulled me out of the story trying to figure it out.

I did really enjoy the storyline, though.  The plot twists and turns and keeps you guessing.  And for the most part things work out pretty well... for the more likeables anyway. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment