Thursday, February 18, 2010

Desolate Angel by Chaz McGee

2 stars
R- 2 ish

According to the quote on the cover, this book is "funny, tender, poignant and peopled with wonderful characters"....

I'd have said "creepy, dark, and pedantic with a couple of characters that aren't bad".  It just did not work for me.

First of all, your main character/narrator is dead.  And he spends a LOT of time moralizing about all the things he took for granted in life.  Lots of time.  It got old fast.

See, he wasn't a great person.  But now that's all changing.  He's learning how to be a good (dead) person.

And he's going to atone by solving the mystery.

Except that he can't talk to any of the living characters.  So even though he knows stuff early on in the book, the investigation isn't helped because well, he's dead.

Really this seemed like it was going to be the start of another cute cozy mystery series, but honestly I found it pretty dark and creepy.  Because the narrator is dead, he can get far more "inside" the killer's head.  He's more in tune with the feeling of evil that exudes from the killer.  And it's really dark.

Not at all what you think you're going to get when you look at the cutesy cover with the cute dog.

I don't know, it just really didn't work for me.  Which is a bummer.

Maybe if I'd had a better idea what I was getting into....

This is a Reader's Choice book and counts for the Support Your Local Library Challenge!

(On a completely unrelated note-- I'm in potty-training land all day today, so any good vibes you can send my way..... I think I'm gonna need all the help I can get....)

No comments:

Post a Comment