Friday, March 12, 2010

Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo

5 stars
R- 1? maybe

Okay, first, I LOVE THE COVER.  Seriously love it.

And you know what?  Part of why I love it is that inside that cover there is not a single vampire, even though from the look there could be.  :)

I really enjoyed this one.  I love the title, too.  How could you not love that title?

So, yes, the main character gets annoying at times, but I think that's the point.  She gets less so as she learns.  We're all like that, right?

This is kind of Austenland meets.... Quieter Than Sleep.  The Austen obsession being more scholarly than fluffy.  Not that there's not some fluffiness. 

There were a few things that some more depth would have been nice on.... the mysterious Barry, for example... and the scene with Edward maybe.

Overall, though, I really enjoyed it.  Emma's search for Jane Austen's letters is a fun and interesting journey.

This is a Reader's Choice book, and counts for the Support Your Local Library Challenge!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to read your review. I've seen this but I hadn't really heard anyone's opinion on it yet. I hope my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really enjoyed this book! Definitely had me wanting to go abroad! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, if it's a Salt Lake County library, this is a Reader's Choice right now, so they have TONS and TONS of copies!

    Miss Remmers-- Oh I know! One day I'll get to Europe..... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, hard to pass up that title. I think many of these Austen-related books are rooted in the frustration, which I also feel, that she lived such a short time and left so little personal record. We wish there were more; but there's not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I think that is a lot of it. Certainly it's what this book focuses on. :D

    ReplyDelete