Thursday, April 22, 2010

Skin and Bones by D.C. Corso

5 stars
R- 2
Language, violence*
*disturbing even if not graphic-- also against children
Source- Copy from publisher/author for review for Virtual Book Tour

I LOVE the show Criminal Minds.  It's dark and somewhat creepy, but it's fascinating and I absolutely love it.

I know, you're thinking I've gone off my rocker.  "This is a book review" you're thinking.  "Those post-pregnancy hormones and sleep-deprivation have finally destroyed her brain!" 

No, no.  It's relevant.  I promise.

Special Agent Severin Ash is out to find a missing child.  It's what he does.  Working out of the Seattle Field Office, Ash specializes in abductions.  And he used to work at Quantico.  BAU-type stuff.

See, relevance.

This short novel totally reads like a Criminal Minds episode.  Which I think is fabulous.

However, it is CREEPY.  Like, don't read late at night creepy.  Absolutely DO NOT read pregnant creepy.  And if shows like Criminals Minds really aren't your cup of tea or seriously disturb you.... you'd better skip this one.

If you're a fan, though, I seriously recommend this one.

It's not a mystery.  There's no "whodunnit" aspect.  You know whodunnit.  More or less.  Obviously some things must be a surprise but... you know what I mean.  But it's a heck of a thriller.  And the characters are fun.

The language was stronger than I like, but the violence wasn't graphic.

I'd like it if this turned into a series.  Really, I would.  I like the characters enough to hear more.  As long as there's more to tell.  It would be terrible if D.C. Corso got pushed into writing a sequel when the story wasn't there.  It's a horrible thing to do to good characters.

But sequel or unrelated stand-alone, I will keep my eyes open for what Corso does next!

This is for a Virtual Book Tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment