Thursday, May 27, 2010

Dog On It by Spencer Quinn

3.5 Stars
R- 1?

A mystery solved by a Private Eye and his dog... narrated by... the dog.

Which is cute.  At first.

And then it got annoying for me.

If it had only been partly narrated by the dog, it would have worked better.  Because the dog's voice is cute, but it's also frustrating.  You have a narrator that knows things about what's going on, but can't tell anyone.  And that doesn't always pay attention to conversations, so the reader misses stuff too.

And if I had a nickel for every time he says "did I mention that already".... well, I'd at least be able to go get myself a king-size KitKat, which sounds really really good right now.

There's also a lot of hinting at back story without actually telling us anything, because Chet (that's the dog) can't remember what happened.

All in all, it is a cute, quirky mystery (kidnapping, not murder), but it got on my nerves.  It's the first in a series, but I don't think I have the patience to read more....

Counts for the Reader's Choice challenge and the Support Your Local Library challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment