Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Tale of Halcyon Crane by Wendy Webb

3 stars
R- 1

So, somehow I missed that this was a ghost story.  Really not sure how, but hey.  (You'd think the slightly creepy cover would have given it away.)

But, yeah, if you're looking for a creepy read this week, this could be right up your alley. 

The first half or so-- totally creeped me out.  SPOOOOOOOKY.

And interesting.  And compelling.

The second half... not as much.

I can't decide if it was because it was daytime when I read the second half or if it was what I had already figured out or what.  Maybe it was the migraine medicine. ;)

Anyway, the story was compelling, but the ending felt anticlimactic to me.  Probably just me, though.  Combine that with the fact that it's not really my style, genre-wise, and this one ended up being just okay for me.\

What creepy things are YOU reading this spooky week?

Counts for the Reader's Choice and Support Your Local Library challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment