Monday, February 28, 2011

Through Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden

2.5 Stars
R-3

I did not get this book.

I don't know if it was the fact that I don't know anything about or understand Cree culture or what, but I just didn't get it.

Told in alternating viewpoints, there is barely a semblance of chronological order.  The whole thing is told in spotty flashbacks.

I spent most of it hoping Gordon would smack Annie upside her pretty little head.  She really needed it and he was the only one in a position to do it.

I also spent a lot of the book trying to figure out if you could believe ANYTHING from the one narrator, Will.

Anyway, I think I see what the author was getting at and everything, but it totally didn't work for me.  But if you're a fan of, say Little Bee, then you should probably give this one a try.

Counts for the Reader's Choice and Support Your Local Library challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment