Monday, March 7, 2011

These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf

Oh wow.

Um.... I'm not sure how to rate this.

It was, overall, well-done.  It was compelling.  It was so, so hard to read.

Hard enough to read that I'm not sure I can recommend it... at least not without the strong warning that it's difficult.  (Especially if you've struggled with infertility, post-partum depression... etc.)

Told in alternating viewpoints, the story follows Allison, her sister Brynn, Charm, and Claire.  Allison and Brynn are first-person, Charm and Claire are third-person, which was a little jarring, but the flashbacks and jumping between viewpoints was well done.

The story that unfolds in heart-rending and the climax gut-wrenching, but the ending is ultimately hopeful, at least for Allison, who is the true protagonist.

Part mystery, part family drama, part coming-of-age.... I'm not sure what to call it.

Anyway.... I'm not sure if I'm glad I read it, but I know finishing it was better than not knowing the truth would have been.  (I almost put it down.)

Counts for the Support Your Local Library Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. I read her book The Weight of Silence: so gut-wrenching to read, but man was it good. I have yet to read this one, but it's on my list. I'll have to gird up my loins, so to speak, 'though, because I've suffered through both infertility and post-partum depression, and I'm not sure if I'm far enough past them to re-open old wounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read The Weight of Silence, but I get the impression the books have a lot in common. But, yeah, make sure you're ready before you read this one.

    ReplyDelete