Monday, March 14, 2011

Watermark by Vanitha Sankaran

2 stars
R- 3

I so wanted to love this book.  I mean really, really wanted to love it.

And I just didn't.

Inconsistent, poorly developed characters; somewhat obscure historical references without sufficient explanations; characters who just disappear... Plus the main character, an albino, has (because of her albinism) bad eyesight and yet reads and writes her way through the whole book. 

Overall, I just didn't get it.  I didn't understand why any of the characters did anything they did.  (And that's not including the fact that I just don't understand what people were thinking with the inquisition stuff.  Like the Salem witch trials, there wasn't a lot of common sense going around.)

Anyway, it didn't work for me.

Counts for the Reader's Choice and Support Your Local Library challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment