Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Pun Also Rises by John Pollack

How the Humble Pun Revolutionized Language, Changed History, and Made Wordplay More than Some Antics

(did you catch it? read it out loud.....)

5 stars
nonfiction

Okay, so it was a bit dense, but it was fascinating enough to still get 5 stars.

Filled with subtle puns, this is an intriguing look at what the pun has done for linguistical development-- both as a species and as individuals.

It was especially interesting since I have children in the "knock-knock joke stage"-- which is basically all about puns-- and the book talks a lot about why that's an important stage.

I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed this book.  Utterly fabulous and COMPLETELY recommended!

(It references MASH and Spoonerisms!!!)

I even went through the bibliography and made a list of books I'd like to read.

Anyway, anyone interested in the English language should really read this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment