Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Charlotte Collins by Jennifer Becton

A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

4 stars

I think I'm a little Regency'ed out.

I did enjoy this, though I think a "continuation" of P&P is perhaps not the most apt description.  It does follow a character from P&P years later (Charlotte Lucas Collins), but a continuation for me would imply following more "important" characters.

I will admit that that is a bit grumpy of me, but it's been one of those days. 

I also have to say that I spent a fair amount of this book thinking that while I understand writing fan-fic (I've done a lot myself) I don't really understand writing a book as fan-fic when she easily could have just written a Regency of her own without using Austen's characters.  This book is really not all that dependent on P&P (kind of like the middle book of the Darcy trilogy).

Anyway, all the grumping aside, it was a pretty good book.  I did enjoy it and would recommend it.

(Although I mean it when I say I think I've had a surfeit of Regency.... I guess I read this too soon after the Darcy books!  I either need to read P&P or take several months off of the genre.... or both....)

No comments:

Post a Comment