Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Treasury of Greek Mythology by Donna Jo Napoli

3 stars

I love Greek mythology, but this volume just didn't do it for me.

For one, there was something about the language... a little too modern maybe?  Whatever it was, it didn't work for me.

I tend to kind of feel that way about Napoli's stuff in general, though.  It's just me.

My bigger issue was that, while I understand that there are many many many versions of these stories, I read so many of them as a child and am so familiar with them that the differences in this volume felt jarring.

The stories felt "wrong" and my OCD need for accuracy, which already struggles with mythology, was severely tested.

I'm sure all of that is just me.  I really am.

Overall, it's not a bad volume.  Just not my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment