Friday, October 11, 2013

Promise to Return by Elizabeth Byler Younts

Copy received for review.

Okay, I don't know how to rate this.  At all.  I did not love this book.  I'm not even positive I liked this book.

Here's what I said on GoodReads, (you know, in case you didn't see it there):

Sigh.
Struggling with how to rate this one because: 
A)I do not care for the writing style. Doesn't matter how well or poorly it's done, it just doesn't work for me.
B)Miriam drove me nuts for 2/3 of the book.
C)I so beyond all do not understand the Amish. I do not understand how you can just drive people away when they aren't perfect and think that that's what a loving God expects you to do. I respect their beliefs, I just cannot fathom them.

And so, as a result of these things, I didn't really enjoy the book. It's probably just me, though.

(Though I will say, on A, there were several contradictions and poor word choice things that drove me nutty.)




And yeah.  That's where I'm left.

I kind of want to give the book only 1 or 2 stars, but that doesn't feel fair.  I'm positive I will be in the minority.

(For one thing, the kinds of contradictions and poor word choices/editing problems that I saw and harp on most people [read normal, non-ocd crazy people] probably wouldn't notice.  Or at least wouldn't be so bothered by....)

Anyway, if you like Christian fiction/Amish fiction/etc give this one a try.  Certainly the Amish point of view during WWII is an interesting take on it.

(In some ways it's terrifying-- they spoke German (well, a form of German) while we were at war with Germany.  That can't have gone over well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment