Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Cinder by Marissa Meyer, Alyson's Review

Introducing my fabulous friend Alyson, who is going to be doing reviews from time to time around here.  
Since there were a few Beehive Nominees that I had already read and reviewed, I'm having her give another perspective. :)

Cinder may have come highly recommended, but I wouldn't have read it if it hadn't been someone else's book club pick.  It's really, really not my usual kind of book.  That said--I was hooked from the first chapter.  I stayed up past midnight 3 nights in a row to finish it, early rising children notwithstanding.  What better compliment can you give?

The premise is intriguing enough--a Cinderella retelling where 'Cinder' is a cyborg--but I was impressed at how well I liked the plot details.  I sank pretty comfortably into Cinder's world for someone who doesn't generally enjoy sci-fi, and I absolutely loved how the traditional plot elements from the fairy tale fit in.  

Bottom line--a winner for a wide audience (I gave 3 copies as Christmas gifts).  Enjoy!  And don't be surprised if you find yourself hooked enough to put Scarlet on hold at your library...

No comments:

Post a Comment