Saturday, February 7, 2015

Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: One Dead Spy by Nathan Hale

4 stars
JF graphic historical novel

Nathan Hale (the author/illustrator-- he illustrated Rapunzel's Revenge) has a great idea going with these Hazardous Tales from Nathan Hale (the Revolutionary War hero).

My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE these books.  Words cannot express how much.  So they were overjoyed when the first book (this one) was the pick for BOTH Great Reads for Girls AND Guys Read at the library in January.

And really, how can you not be excited about a book where Nathan Hale (the Revolutionary one) gets eaten by a history book just before he's to be hanged and starts telling stories from American history to delay his execution.

Interestingly, Boo seemed to be the only girl (at Great Reads) who was really enthusiastic about it.  I acknowledge that there's probably more appeal for boys, but I thought more girls would be into it too.  Maybe it was just our group.

Anyway, since it was the January pick for both programs, I also read One Dead Spy.  I really enjoyed it, and I loved all the information he put in at the end.  I made a list of other books to read from the bibliography.  Super fun, but I don't know that I feel compelled to read the others myself.

My kids have already devoured the other books in the series (so far, they're hoping for many more to come).

(Donner Dinner Party is one of them.  Nope, I'm not making that title up.  As an adult who's very familiar with the Donner Party [I grew up near Donner Pass], the macabre humor of this title is awful and awesome all at the same time.  I haven't read it, but no one asked what cannibalism was after reading it, so I think it's fairly tame.)

Overall, I think these books are a fabulous way to get kids, especially boys, interested in history, and I think the format will appeal to even fairly reluctant readers.  Definitely recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment