Friday, September 11, 2015

If You Feel Too Much by Jamie Tworkowski

copy received for review

Sigh.

It's been a weird week.  And I know, I usually post about 9/11, but somehow this all feels connected right now.

See, I'd intended to post all week about suicide prevention, depression, and To Write Love on her Arms... including reviewing this book.

But what to say?

I don't feel like I'm in a mental place right now where I can put my own struggle out there.  I like the idea, but I can't find the words.

I've started so many blog posts this week.

I don't have all the answers.  Some days I'm not sure I have any answers.

But as Jamie says more than once in this book-- I'm alive.  I'm here.  That's valuable.

This book is honestly kind of an odd compilation of blogposts... bits and pieces of Jamie that didn't always make sense to me.

It's not nearly as much stories of depression as I thought.

You see, for all that this book is tiny, I was scared to read it.

Scared to open myself up to other people's pain.  Sometimes I internalize too much of it... and this balancing act of life is hard enough as it is.

But there was less pain than I expected.  And more than anything there was hope.

Hope and an affirmation that we're all in this together-- all writing our own important overlapping stories.

So.

I don't see how I can rate this book... how do you give out stars for a person's life?

I'm glad I read it.  I recommend it.

And at the end of the day, I like how it closes.... with the same words they're using for suicide prevention week this week:

We'll see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment