Thursday, November 13, 2008

Reader's Choice Nominees July-October 2008

This seems like a good place to start.
Twice a year, the local county library systems holds their "Reader's Choice" thing. Librarians select around 28 books, put them on display, and have people read and vote. For the last couple of years, I've been trying to read ALL of the books in the allotted time. Some months that works better than others. I think this time around I had read... 14 of them. Which is actually pretty good considering only one of those was NOT read in October. I've read a few more since, too.
So, here's the list: http://www.slco.lib.ut.us/booklists/readers_choice.pdf
They haven't posted the winners yet, but I'll let you know when they do. And if I don't agree with the winners, I'll post my own list. :)

And I'll review the first one on the list now:
Along Comes a Stranger by Dorie Lawson
1 star
Risquety- 0

Wow.... I've never been so bored. Seriously, never. I mean, I completely understand the day to day life of a stay-at-home mome, I am one, but I'm not crazy enough to think people would want to READ about the day to day life of a stay-at-home mom! (Hence my blogging about things OTHER than daily life in my house!)
This one starts out with major hints about a HUGE event happening in the life of the main character... of course, nothing happens until the last 10 pages of the book. Frankly, by that point, I really didn't care anymore. As a mom, I vaguely felt for the little girl, but it was hard to care much when it didn't seem like the main character cared!
Blah, I don't even want to spend any more time writing about it. I would say, don't waste your time. Obviously, though, not everyone agrees with me. The quotes on the book jacket say things like "I couldn't put it down" and I noticed on the sign posted at the library that at least a couple of people had voted "loved it". I would love to know what they were on when they read it. I'm sure that would make all the difference. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment