Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Broken Sequel

The Broken Sword by Molly Cochran and Warren Murphy
did not finish
R- 4.5 (not for quantity so much as tone-- the "risquety" was all mixed into the black magic)
Sequel to The Forever King

Holy dark. Actually "unholy" would be a better word.

Dark books do not bother me. Usually. This one did.

I'm disappointed. I loved the first one, but this was too much. Honestly made me feel kind of ill. The black magic was too descriptive and too pervasive. I can handle books about black magic to an extent, but this exceeded that.
And the knights were driving me nuts. Galahad is joined by the others, who have no idea how to function in the real world. (Well, the modern world. Whatever.) And they don't try to learn. (At least, they hadn't yet.)

And frankly, aren't characters supposed to grow and develop? 'Cause they were pretty stagnate. You know those sequels where everyone has forgotten everything they learned in the first book? Yeah. Except I'm not sure some of the characters learned much in the first one either. (Remember how I said Hal just wasn't as likeable as I wanted him to be? He doesn't change much through the course of the book.)

So I put it down. I can practically count on one hand books that I've not finished once I've started. (Huck Finn, for one.... and The Enchantress of Florence or whatever that one was called.... Honestly that's about all I can think of off the top of my head.)

But I just couldn't finish this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment