Monday, January 5, 2009

A Movie Novelization

Which is not something I would normally read. But since it was done by an author I love, I figured, what the heck.

Elizabeth- The Golden Age novelization by Tasha Alexander
4 Stars
R- 3 ish

If you've seen the movie, I'm sure you know what to expect. I haven't actually seen it, so I went in blind. I did want to see the movie, though, and it's the kind of thing I like to read.
Anyway.
The style is a little jumpy, but I think it works. It didn't bother me, and that's something that ususally does. (And I must be more tired than I thought, 'cause this review is sounding a little jumpy!)
What I really did like- the writing of Elizabeth, the character. The contrast between Elizabeth the public queen and Elizabeth the woman was great-- especially during the two more personally pivotal events. (No, I'm not going to tell you what those were. Goodness.)
The other characters aren't as deeply developed, but it's not really about them, so you don't mind too much. And really, since a lot of them are historical figures, you don't need as much as you would if they were fictional.
What I was not as happy about-- the notes were really slim. I LOVE to read the research/historical notes in fiction like this and she didn't include a whole lot. There is some info, but more would have been awesome. (Yes, I'm a nerd.)

No comments:

Post a Comment