Friday, February 27, 2009

Gentle Elegance

That's how Library Journal describes this book... My thought is-- maybe a little too gentle.

The Bell at Sealey Head by Patricia A. McKillip
4.5 Stars... ETA: no, make that 5 stars
R- 0

Here's what I mean by a little too gentle-- the book felt.... shallow... to me. I found myself wanting more depth of character, more description, more explanation.

Now, this may just be a symptom of my lack of sleep.... not to mention the migraine from.... well, you get the idea.

Or it could be a symptom of a much larger problem. Are we becoming lazy readers? Do we want (or worse, need) the author to solve every little problem, wrap up every little string, and deliver it all explicitly?

What in heaven's name happened to using ones imagination? Because there is a lot left to the imagination in this book. A wonderfully rich feast for the imagination.

And I'm whining about lack of depth. Hmm.

It is a beautiful story. Real world crossing paths with fantasy world, mystery, disguise, betrayal.

This is a ridiculous post.

Oh well.

I need a nap.

(Hey, if you haven't yet, check out yesterday's post- A Question For You, The Reader- and leave me a note!)

No comments:

Post a Comment