Thursday, April 9, 2009

Moon-Dry

Which given Dava Sobel's description, seems more appropriate than "bone-dry".

Killing Rommel by Steven Pressfield

From the Reader's Choice pamphlet:
"In this WWII historical novel, Lawrence Chapman is part of the Long Range Desert Group that is assigned to assassinate German Field Marshall Erwin Rommel. Superior writing skills bring us into the struggle for survival and mastery in the unforgiving deserts of North Africa."

You may be wondering why I didn't include any ratings with the title. Simple-- I didn't get past page 105. I don't think I've ever been so bored. (Okay, maybe in 8th grade science class, but still.)

I FORCED myself through those 105 pages.

I LOVE historical fiction. One of the best things about historical fiction is that you can learn about the period/events WITHOUT it feeling like a dry text book.

Or you can read this which was drier than many nonfiction books I've read. My thought is, if I want to learn about the North Africa campaigns of WWII, I'll read nonfiction. It'll probably be easier to get through.

I'm really disappointed. This author has a few other historical fictions that looked good, but now I can't bring myself to read them.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't like the book, but yeah I at least will know what to expect if I ever decide to read it.

    ReplyDelete