Thursday, October 8, 2009

Clash of the Gods-- Part 2

So a while ago I did a little review on a new tv show on the History Channel-- Clash of the Gods.

Last week, I caught part of a new episode and decided it deserved a "review part 2".

The subject for the episode? Beowulf!

Now, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Greek mythology, but I was so interested and excited to see the show branching out from that!

Granted, I didn't catch all of the Beowulf episode (I was too busy finishing Sea Glass!) and while it was covered in a college lit course.... well, let's just say it must have been one of the courses I was taking in the depths of depression, because I don't remember a lot. I don't think I actually read much of it.

But I am more or less familiar with the story.

Anyway. One point they brought up that I found really interesting was that the original legends of Beowulf were rewritten with a more Christian philosophy to make them acceptable. I hadn't thought of that before, but it makes sense.

So from there a lot of the show dealt included the various Christian symbolisms and interpretations of different scenes in Beowulf.

I really need to catch a rerun so I can watch the full episode (no more On Demand at our house.... it's very sad). I'm curious to see what others they showcase in upcoming episodes! Might there be an Arthurian episode in near future?

Oh the possibilities.....

:D

Okay, so I wrote this post days ago-- BEFORE the episode on Tolkien (which I cannot decide how to spell).

The Tolkien episode was interesting, though I really wish they'd made it a 2 part and gone into more detail! There's SOOOOOO much in the Lord of the Rings, let alone looking at The Hobbit or The Silmarilion (which is also likely spelled wrong-- sorry).

Really, they just scratched the surface.

It was really interesting, though. I recommend catching a rerun!

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish I had cable! I am a huge Tolkien fan. I would have loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know History is offering it on DVD. Maybe we could petition local libraries to get it?
    :D

    ReplyDelete