Friday, July 23, 2010

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

4.5 stars
R- 1.5 or so

I really enjoyed this one!  I took off a half a star for the times when the character is being overwhelmingly dense. ;)  Other than those bits, I loved it.

I like books about the Salem witch trials and I thought this was a really interesting and innovative one.  I enjoyed the back and forth between the present and the past.

Connie was absolutely dull as a box of rocks (to borrow a phrase from the book) at times.  I mean really, you have to read THAT many journal entries about delivering babies to figure out that she's a midwife??  Seriously?  Ridiculous.

Her dissertation advisor had some similar lapses, though he's kinda crazy, so maybe that's understandable, lol.

I did have a friend say that there are things that Connie should know having grown up in New England, but having never even BEEN to New England..... I didn't notice anything.  But then I wouldn't, probably.  :)

Anyway, I recommend it.  I thought it was pretty fun.

What do YOU think?  I know there was some buzz about this one a while ago.... How many have read it?

Counts for the Support Your Local Library challenge and the Reader's Choice Challenge.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment