Thursday, July 22, 2010

Eggsecutive Orders by Julie Hyzy

2.5 stars
R-1?  maybe
Third White House Chef Mystery

I LOVED the first two books.  I really really did.

I just couldn't get into this one.  Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but it didn't work for me.

The actual mystery felt totally overshadowed by all of the "just promise me you won't get involved" stuff.  Now, granted, some of that kind of stuff is normal, right?  But too much of it kind of messes with my ability to suspend disbelief.

After all, an amateur sleuth in the real world would be someone that should leave things to police and just get out of the way.  But in a cozy mystery, you root for the sleuth.  You want them to find the clues and put it all together and darn it all, why won't the police just listen to them!  (Or in this case the Secret Service.)

But when more than half the book seems to be people telling the sleuth to just stay out of it, eventually you start to either a) get really irritated at pretty much every character in the book or b) wonder why the sleuth doesn't just stay out of it.

And when the sleuth IS trying to stay out of it, but just randomly keeps finding stuff out and then passing it along, you'd think the investigators could be at least somewhat grateful.  But no.  They're ticked.

Overall, I was just irritated.  Probably more of a mood thing, but whatever.

I'll still read the next one, most likely, but I just didn't love this one.

Counts for the Support Your Local Library Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment