Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Henry's Sisters by Cathy Lamb

5 stars
R- 3
Violence and language

This is a beautiful book about hope, but it is also dang hard to read.

A word of caution-- if you have depression (like me) be careful about this one.  Depending on how books affect your depression, this one could be an absolute doozy.  Yes, it's about hope and it's beautiful, but it's also really difficult.  The first person narration from a character with a huge list of problems, depression being foremost on that list, can suck you in and mess with your head.

All that said, I did enjoy this.  I didn't think I was going to, but I did.  It's a book that will make you laugh and cry.  One that can reaffirm faith and make you remember to see the joy in life, even if it's hard to find.

(Yeah, I know, I don't usually do mushy reviews.  So sue me.)

The flashbacks did make some things hard to follow and there were a couple of random things that may or may not have been fully resolved.... It's kind of long, though, and my head was messed with enough that I'm fuzzy on some details. :)

All in all, I recommend it, just with that caution. 

Counts for the Reader's Choice challenge and the Support Your Local Library Challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment