Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Secret of the Forgotten City by Carolyn Keene

4 stars.... just 'cause that's what I've given all of them....
Nancy Drew # 52

Okay, I know, I haven't been reviewing these.... largely because I don't have a whole lot to say.

But, this one had some weird details....

Like the whole search for the golden plates.  Call me paranoid or oversensitive, but I'm LDS, and you can't make "golden plates" references to me without me thinking that either a) someone LDS was involved in the writing or b) you're making fun of the LDS church.

Anyone else think that's kinda weird?  Probably not.  It's probably just me.  :)

And you can tell this is a later one, because Ned actually kisses Nancy.  *Gasp!*  LOL.  In fact, he kisses her more than once.  Shocking.

But is anyone else sick of hearing that Bess is chubby and struggles with her weight?!  Seriously, move on.  Leave the poor girl alone.  I always loved George as a kid, but I swear if she harps on her cousin's weight one more time....

I don't know what I'll do.  Probably nothing.  Because heaven knows it's going to come up again in the next one I read. 

It's really getting on my nerves.  Girls have enough trouble with body image these days without reading stuff like that.

I wonder if there's as much of that in the old original versions.... Hmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment