Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Skybreaker by Kenneth Oppel

5 stars
R-0
Sequel to Airborn
YA

If Airborn was Treasure Island, Skybreaker is Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.  (Which I should probably reread, seeing as how it's been close to two decades.)

Anyway, this delightful followup to Airborn was lots of fun to read.

Granted there was the requisite "well I know she likes me, but does she really like me?" rubbish, but it's a YA sequel.  I'm becoming resigned to those plot aspects.

And honestly, the "but I want to be a man, not a boy" stuff bugged me more.  I suppose it's realistic, so you have to let it slide.  I guess it's a macho thing that girls just don't get.

I loved the premise and everything, though.  The new characters were interesting, and I was thrilled to see Chef Vlad show up, even if it was only briefly.

Matt Cruse is still a delightful hero (even if he's got a load of self-doubt) and Kate is still just plain funny.

If you liked the first one, you'll like this one.  If you haven't read the first one, what on earth are you waiting for??

Now I can't wait to get my hands on the third!!

Counts for the Support Your Local Library challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment