Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Bound South by Susan Rebecca White

3 stars
R- 3

This isn't really one I was looking forward to.  "Southern domestic fiction" just isn't my style.  But it's on the list, so what the heck, right?

It was okay.  I didn't love it by any stretch of the imagination, but I didn't hate it either.

It's told from multiple perspectives, which is usually fine with me, but it wasn't at all balanced between the characters, which I didn't like.  And all of the random jumps in time were hard to keep track of and left things unexplained in places.

There was also some serious inconsistencies-- like when, at the end of Part 1, the daughter runs off with her boyfriend and Louise (mom) is very "well, she's with the man she loves" about it, but then in Part 2, looking back, Louise talks about all of the trouble they went to trying to get her back and being upset about it.  Made no sense.

Anyway, it was okay.  If you like family drama and southern settings, you might give it a try.

Counts for the Support Your Local Library and Reader's Choice challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment