Monday, August 23, 2010

The Bricklayer by Noah Boyd

4 stars
R-2

Overall, I enjoyed it, but the writing felt... off somehow.  Weird and/or awkward word usage in places and the tone was maybe a little detached.

Or something.

I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it.  It just felt a little weird.

Maybe part of it is that you don't really meet the main character until a good 70 pages in.  Maybe part of it is the very loose 3rd person point of view which seems to shift perspective constantly.

I don't know.

But overall, I liked it.  As far as mysteries/thrillers go, it wasn't too bad.  I did figure out the main twist ahead of time, but, hey, I read a lot of these. :)

I'll be interested to see if there's a sequel.  If there is, I'll read it.

Counts for the Reader's Choice and Support Your Local Library challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment