Monday, August 30, 2010

The Rivers Run Dry by Sibella Giorello

3 Stars
R- 1

Part mystery, part thriller, part Christian fiction.

Raleigh Harmon is an FBI agent/geologist, which makes for an interesting premise.  The mystery's not bad, and it stands alone, but I could tell that a lot of backstory was missing.

Sure enough, there's an earlier book-- The Stones Cry Out.

There were some editing problems (apparently Oct. 17th now comes a few days after Oct. 20th) but the writing wasn't bad.

Overall, for me, it was just okay.... and I can't put my finger on why.  I think not having read the first book first was a lot of it.  It drove me crazy to realize that so much backstory had to be in another book.  It's hard to understand exactly where Raleigh's coming from.

Anyway, I'd recommend starting with the first one.  Then read this one.  :)

Counts for the Reader's Choice and Support Your Local Library challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment