Saw this on a couple of blogs recently and thought it would make a good "rainy day" type post.
1. Favorite childhood book?
hmmm.... I read a lot of Nancy Drews.... I reread The Little House daily for more than a month.... lol
2. What are you reading right now?
No Going Back by Jonathan Langford
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
*Knuffle Bunny Free by Mo Willems
*The Tale of Oat Cake Crag by Susan Wittig Albert
*Spy Glass by Maria V Snyder
*Bink and Gollie
4. Bad book habit?
Um... neglecting my kids to read?
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
*Scumble by Ingrid Law
*The Theives of Heaven by Richard Doetsch
*City of Veils by Zoe Ferraris
*Darkborn by Alison Sinclair
*The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree by Susan Wittig Albert
*A False Dawn by Tom Lowe
*The Glassblower by Marina Fiorato
*The Osiris Ritual by George Mann
*Starclimber by Kenneth Oppel
*Untraceable by Laura Griffin
*Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartey
*The Last Ember by Daniel Levin
*The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Bartlett
*When Did I Get Like This? by Amy Wilson
6. Do you have an e-reader?
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
One at a time. Always, always (well, pretty much always) one at a time... otherwise my brain might explode.
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Not a ton. I don't go as long between books now as I sometimes used to... usually anyway.
9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
Goddess of the Hunt. Couldn't finish it.
10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
Um.... A Quiet Belief in Angels, maybe.
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
I have a pretty broad comfort zone, but I try to read ALL the Reader's Choice books, whether they're in my comfort zone or not, so... several times a year, at least.
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Nearly everything! Not nonfiction, horror or romance, but just about anything else.
13. Can you read on the bus?
Oh I can read pretty much anywhere.
14. Favorite place to read?
Just about anywhere works for me!
15. What is your policy on book lending?
I lend books to people I trust. :)
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
Not usually. I prefer not to.
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Novels, no. Scriptures, lots!
18. Not even with text books?
19. What is your favorite language to read in?
That would be English, though I used to read a decent amount in German.
20. What makes you love a book?
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If I loved it. Or, even if I didn't, if I'm pretty sure the other person will love it.
22. Favorite genre?
Hmm.... mystery, maybe.
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
24. Favorite biography?
I don't read a whole lot of biographies, really.... In fact, I can't even remember the last one I read! Hmm.... Mormon Scientist was the last, I guess.... I couldn't finish it.
Oh wait! The Lost City of Z! That was more or less biographical! Sort of... I loved it!
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Depends on your definition, I guess. Probably.
26. Favorite cookbook?
I love the Sneaky Chef. Also the 101 Things To Do With [fill in the blank] books-- they're awesome.
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
I honestly don't know.
28. Favorite reading snack?
I try to eat things that aren't too messy while reading, but I have a serious Cheetoh addiction.
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo!! I so wanted to love it and it fell soooooo flat!
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
Depends on your definition of critics. I don't read big newspaper reviews, but I agree with a lot of other bloggers a fair amount of the time.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I don't love doing it, but I don't shy away from it. I actually really like reading negative reviews, so I write them too.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
German, probably! I need to regain so much lost skill there!
33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
Huh.... I don't know.
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
The Passage. It's sitting here taunting... and daunting....
35. Favorite Poet?
Sylvia Plath is the first that comes to mind.
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
Um... what's the limit again? lol
My husband would say "too many"!
37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
More often than I'd like.
38. Favorite fictional character?
That's hard! I love Raine Benares, but I also really love Yelena, Lady Julia Grey, Lady Emily Ashton, etc etc etc.... I could go on for days.
39. Favorite fictional villain?
Iago, hands down.
40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Whatever's in my stack. Gotta bring at least 3 for variety.
41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
A week, I think.
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Most recently? Goddess of the Hunt. I rarely leave books unfinished, though.
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Sometimes the TV, but not usually. My kids probably should more than they do, lol.
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
Very difficult.... Hmm.... I LOVE the movie Ella Enchanted, but it's NOTHING like the book, so I don't think it counts, lol. The first Lord of the Rings was pretty good.
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I still haven't seen any of the other movies because that one ticked me off!
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
Not sure. Always on a budget, so I try not to spend a whole lot.
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
Too much sex, multiple pages about hemmoroids (you laugh, but it happened), too much romance with too little else, extreme boredom.
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
Depends on the book. I keep a lot of books, (clearly, just look around my house, they're taking over) but I've gotten better about letting some go.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
52. Name a book that made you angry.
Go Ask Alice. The ending ticked me off.
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
Jane Austen Bites Back
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the first thing that comes to mind.
55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Um... all of it?!