Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Revelations by Laurel Dewey

3.5 stars
R- 3
LANGUAGE

Copy provided by the publisher through Virtual Book Tours

I gotta say, for a third in a series, this sure doesn't read like one.  Not that that's bad, just interesting.  I'd have maybe guessed it was the second, but not the third.

Anyway, that said, I don't think you have to go dig up the first two first... you can start here if you like.

Wow, this review is starting out pretty darn scattered.

So-- intriguing mystery, if slightly creepy.  Twists and turns and fascination.  An attempted suicide-- cut short by a kidnapping?  All they really know is that a 15-year-old boy is missing and time may be running out.  What do all the cryptic clues mean?  It's totally not going where you think it's going, I promise you.

I had a hard time with the main character, though.  Jane's just so prickly.  She grew on me, but it took most of the book.

And the language was off-putting.  There was lots of language.  (Also some misspellings... you know how bad editing bugs me.)  (Oh, and random unusual words thrown in... possibly words the author uses regularly in normal conversation, but they felt a little forced and unnatural in the narrative.  The effect was slightly jarring.)

Overall, though, it was really interesting.  If you don't mind dark, kinda creepy and fairly weird, you should definitely give this one a try.  (I'd call it "Criminal Minds" dark.)  When I say fairly weird, I mean in a "random paranormal events" way.  Totally interesting and a little out of place, but it all still worked. 

1 comment:

  1. Huh??? That's the most scattered, poorly written review I've read.

    I've read REVELATIONS and it was great. I'm so tired of people who review Dewey's books ragging on the "language." It's called living in the real world, people. The language in these books is NOTHING compared to the foul mouths of most cops I've met. Oh, and since I grew up in a law enforcement family, I do know what I'm talking about. Dewey's books are incredibly good and the Jane Perry series is awesome. I've turned tons of people onto this series and they love it.

    To each his own. I get it. But seriously dude, you gotta get out more if you think this book deserves just 3.5 stars. Rated "R" I'll go with but not 3.5 stars.

    ReplyDelete