Monday, October 10, 2011

Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman by Pamela Aidan

**One note overall-- the copies I read were early, self-published and had a number of editing issues that I assume were later resolved.

Book 1: An Assembly Such as This
4 stars

The first in the trilogy, this book follows the first part of Pride and Prejudice pretty faithfully.  Mostly the time in the beginning of the book when Darcy is at Netherfield.

I found it dragged a little, though it was entertaining to see the story through Darcy's eyes.  (Played, in my mind, by Colin Firth.  Naturally.  As it should be.)

Book 2: Duty and Desire
3.5 stars

This is the "silent time" in Pride and Prejudice, the part where Darcy does not appear.  Leaving Aidan to do whatever she wished with him. 

This one went a lot faster for me, but I felt like it was totally out of place.  The almost Victorian feeling house party mystery with Darcy as hero felt really really weird in the middle of P&P.  And it was dark and slightly creepy. 

Still interesting-- especially Darcy's friend Dy and his valet... and Georgiana, of course.

Book 3: These Three Remain
4 stars

Beginning with the fateful encounter at Rosings, we're right back in P&P.  Which is nice.  And I enjoyed this one.

Except I knew how it was going to end.  I found myself wishing that Dy was the main character because I didn't know how his story would turn out.  I knew where Darcy's story was heading.

Not that it wasn't still interesting and entertaining.  It was.  The end just felt a little anti-climactic.

Overall as a trilogy-- I'd say definitely worth reading for fans of P&P.

(Sorry about the lack of pictures.... my Amazon thing hates me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment