Monday, August 13, 2012

A is for Atticus by Lorilee Craker

3 stars

I loved the idea behind this book-- a baby name dictionary that's dedicated to names with a literary heritage and a blurb explaining each.

The actual execution of the book? Meh.  Not so much to be honest.

For one, it's saturated with the author's opinions on each name.... which is fine to an extent, but you have to wonder why she bothered including names that she so clearly does not like.

For two, I would think that bookish, literary-minded parents would be less interested in celebrity naming trends.  Nearly every single name description seems to carry celebrity references.  Personally, that's not going to encourage me to use the name.  Maybe it's just me, but I wanted more literary references and less pop culture.  (Silly me, I thought the point was literary names!)

For three, the literary connections on some names were quite the stretch.

For four, while I have no problem with the idea of the bible being part of literature, I don't necessarily want to find names with ONLY that connection in a literary baby name book.  Especially when the author already has a biblical baby name book out.

For five, (and this is totally personal opinion, I know) some of the names were just awful. lol

Overall, it was interesting... I'm fairly glad I read it.

Wasn't helpful though... LuLu still doesn't have a middle name. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment