Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams

3 stars
R- 3

Okay, we're gonna play a little game of book versus movie here.

Well, play versus movie.

You know what I mean.

Anyway.

Let me start by saying that I saw the movie first.  And I absolutely acknowledge that that colors things.

I vastly prefer the movie.  Elizabeth Taylor is amazing.

Now, let me say that I understand that Tennessee Williams hated the movie.  I also understand that all of the reasons I prefer the movie are the same reasons he hated it.

The characters are just so much more likable in the movie.  They're not super sympathetic in the play.

The play/book also has a lot more in terms of the theme of homosexuality, which just isn't really there in the movie.  Or if it is, it's subtle enough that I just kind of didn't notice.

The play/book has more language too.

Anyway, honestly I'd say skip reading it and just watch the Elizabeth Taylor movie.  Either way, watch the movie.  Really.

1 comment:

  1. No doubt your site is amazing and I really like it. Nice writing, you are doing great effort, your way of writing is unique. Love this site.

    ReplyDelete