Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Strange Images of Death by Barbara Cleverly

5 stars
r- 2
Joe Sandilands book 8

When I finished Folly du Jour (book 7) I thought that was it.  It came out in 2007 and I'm pretty sure I read it not long after it came out.

And there wasn't a book the next year.  Or the next.

But then I found out recently that there was another Joe Sandilands book... and it was book 11.

Book 11?!  How did that happen??

Anyway, so now I'm catching up.

I love the Joe Sandilands books.  I like the characters and I enjoy the mysteries.

This one did not disappoint.  Southern France (near Avignon) in the 1920s, art history, madness, bohemian artists.  Gotta love it.

And total bonuses, for me personally, are the Eleanor of Aquataine references and the fact that I've been knee-deep in family history research, looking at records from southern France.  Earlier than the 20s and not quite the same area, but still.

Anyway, very enjoyable.  Recommended, but I suggest starting with the earlier books.  You don't have to read this series strictly in order, but there are characters in this one that we've met before and knowing the relationships is helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment