Thursday, December 1, 2016

Christmas Gift Guide Middle Grade Edition

(Also known as JF because that's what my local library calls it, lol)

Disclaimer-- I have not actually read any of these yet but I like the looks of them, have received some of them for review, and my kids are getting some of them for Christmas (shh, don't tell).

Kid President's Guide to Being Awesome by Robby Novak
My kids LOVE Kid President.  They love this book.  Good bet for elementary kids, especially the older ones.

Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy Seeks a Fortune by Jane O'Connor
This is the 7th in the series, so really you might want to start at the beginning (Nancy Clancy Super Sleuth) but these are a great choice for younger readers transitioning to chapter books.  They aren't terribly long, they're illustrated, and they're a familiar character.  Good for 1st-3rd grade-ish, especially kids who love the Fancy Nancy picture books.

My Weird School Fast Facts: Geography and Sports by Dan Gutman
(That would be 2 different books)  I don't know about you, but I've found that boys especially LOVE books of facts and trivia.  These books are a great choice for fans of the My Weird School series or kids who want to know things like why major league umpires are required to wear black underwear.  (I have no idea on that one.  Maybe I need to read it.)

Ms. Bixby's Last Day by John David Anderson
This looks SO GOOD.  Recommended for later elementary probably.  This one looks a bit more serious, but I think Boo's going to enjoy it.  And you can bet I'll be stealing it from her pile to read it myself.

The School for Good and Evil: The Ever Never Handbook by Soman Chainani
I don't know a ton about this one, but I do know that things like this are crazy popular with the 4th-6th grade girl crowd right now.

Moo by Sharon Creech
Forget the kids, I want this one for me!  Two kids move to Maine and their parents "volunteer" them to work for an eccentric neighbor.  I am very much looking forward to this one.  (I'll definitely give y'all a full review once I've read it.)

Hamstersaurus Rex by Tom O'Donnell
This looks hilarious and right up Mister's alley.  Really, it's a hamster gone Godzilla-- what's not to love?

Also-- the Big Nate series.  I know I've talked about them before, but I'm talking about them again.  New this year: Big Nate Flips Out, Big Nate Doodlepalooza, and Big Nate Puzzlemania.  Mister would read little else if I let him.  An excellent choice especially for reluctant readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment