Friday, February 10, 2017

Ronit & Jamil by Pamela L Laskin

3 stars
YA verse novel
R- 2 ish (subtle and non-explicit, but a fair amount of sensual imagery)

An interesting retelling of Romeo and Juliet, involving an Israeli girl and a Palestinian boy.

Definitely YA-- not something I would give to Boo for a while (she's 12).

Biggest complaint-- not always being able the tell who's speaking.  It's not a simple "one poem from him, then one from her" set up and they aren't all labeled as to who it is.

Overall.... well, let's say I liked it as well as I'm ever going to like a Romeo and Juliet retelling.

(I HATE Romeo and Juliet, so maybe that's not saying a lot, but hey.)

If you're in the mood for star-crossed lovers, this is a quick and satisfying read.

Received for review.

(And since I was finished with it within an hour of it arriving on my doorstep, I'd say this counts as my "something new".  Now I just need to find something old and something borrowed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment