Monday, February 27, 2017

The Honest Truth by Dan Gemeinhart

3 stars

**While this is shelved as JF (middle grade) at my local library, parents should be aware there is some language, as well as the more obvious mature topics.

So, I saw a comment on a review for this on GoodReads that basically said "dying 12-year-olds don't use good judgement".

Yeah.

That about sums this one up.

I really struggled with the beginning.  I wasn't buying that Mark was only 12.  He came across as 15ish, at least to me.

And while that got better, I could just never really suspend disbelief far enough.

In some ways it's a touching story, and I'm not bothered that Boo read it.  I'm sure she got different things out of it as a 6th-grader than I did as an adult and a parent.

But while things did get better and I was more or less invested by the end and there were elements of "this is such a touching story".... meh.

Overall it just didn't work so well for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment