Thursday, September 14, 2017

Grounded: The Adventures of Rapunzel by Megan Morrison

(Tyme #1)
5 stars
YF- emotionally complex, so maybe err on the side of older elementary

Wow.

That. Was. So. Weird.

(Seriously... I know I said Woman in the Wall was weird [it totally was] and Big Bad Fox.... but dang.)

But.  Weird does not equal bad.

And I couldn't actually find a reason not to give it 5 stars.

It is seriously emotionally complex... in a Stockholm Syndrome "dang people need therapy" kind of a way... but it's so well handled in the text.

(It's actually totally got a Star Wars arc going on-- naive hero, brooding bad guy, "maybe there is some good in you after all"....)

I'm shocked and impressed that this is a debut novel.

This is a retelling of Rapunzel, but it's not like any other retelling you've read.

(At least it's not like any I've read... if you find that it IS like one you've read, give me that title.)

Overall.  Read it.

2 comments:

  1. I love how simply your reviews are. How come you don't include cover pictures in your reviews? Just wondering.

    I agree the weird does not always equal bad. In fact, I enjoy weird cause I am a little weird. This looks fun, I will have to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks. I keep them simple partly because I realized I don't like reading long reviews so I probably shouldn't expect other people to, lol. Honestly, I don't include pictures because I'm lazy and when the Amazon Associates widget thing stopped working I didn't want to deal.

    ReplyDelete